Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I moved to the country and drive a John Deere.

I've been meaning to write a quick post about my job here in Hanover. I still haven't found something permanent, but one of Brett's coworkers set me up with a great part-time job!

I work a few days a week on an organic produce farm: Glenville Hollow Farms. They own approx. 1800 acres and grow various fruits and veggies. I pretty much do whatever needs to be done, but my job mostly involves helping with farmer's markets and picking tomatoes (lots of tomatoes). One day I spent close to 8 hrs. just picking tomatoes!

My boss, Cindy, sells at multiple markets during the week, but I help with one that is right outside of Baltimore. Here a few pictures from my first market!

Our tent- we had four large tables of produce to sell.

They grow so many different varieties. Some of them are so interesting looking (and yummy!).
When I'm just picking produce at the farm I get to cruise around in this:

That's right. Be jealous.
The markets run through Thanksgiving so I hope to keep working on the farm for the season. So far it has been really fun, but a ton of hard work! I come home covered in dirt and exhausted, but it feels good to be working outside, and I love interacting with the people at the market. There is a great program where government food checks for fruit and produce double in value if they spend them at farmer's markets. I love explaining what the produce is, how you cook it, what it will taste like, etc. I've even started recognizing "regulars". I love that the people know exactly where their food is coming from, and I can tell that they think it is really cool that they "know" the farmer.

I'm thankful for my job!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that your chatty little Southern accent is such a thrill for those Yankees(in a good way, watch and you will see they are listening to your voice, not so much what you say)Keep up the good PR and good things will come to you. Sincerely, Aunt M

    ReplyDelete