Sunday, August 5, 2012

It's addition.

When we first moved to PA, I convinced myself that I didn't need to worry about making friends. I had friends, wonderful friends (I miss y'all!). Then as the weeks went on, I realized how hard it was to meet people when you work alone and your church is full of older folks-just like the town. Then a new phase set in. I decided I didn't need friends up here at all. I have Brett and I'm completely okay with spending all my time with him. He's so fun- why wouldn't I want to be with him! Fast forward another two weeks and I feel the need for a girlfriend to shop with, get coffee, lay by the pool, etc. Part of me was sad over this, because it made our move here seem very permanent. I felt like I would be replacing those dear to me. After a much needed convo with a wise friend from home (hi, Becca!), I was reminded that it was an addition of friends not subtraction or replacement.

Then God showed me that He really does care about friendship.

Last weekend we walked into church and for the first time, I recognized a face! At first, I couldn't place how I knew her. I started thinking maybe I didn't know her...then she waved. Brett and I continued walking to our seats and then the girl came over and said "Arkansas, right?!". That's when it hit me- she was on my plane from Little Rock to Baltimore! While in the airport, we had worked through switching schedules due to canceled flights and complained together about how late we would be getting in. We never discussed where we lived or really any particulars but chatted a bit while at the gate and wished each other a good flight when we boarded. It just can't be coincidence that two girls from the same small town in PA met while flying into one of the largest airports. I'm so thankful to have someone to call when I need some girl time! Friendship is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Mere,
    I love reading your updates. YAY for finding some connections :)
    Love, Noel

    ReplyDelete