Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Getting Engaged...

Every girl dreams about the day her man, the man made for her, her one true love, will drop down on one knee and ask the resounding question of “Will you marry me?” Not only does she dream of hearing that question, but also the circumstances surrounding it. Will it be in a gazebo with the rain falling hard as he serenades her with a song? Maybe even under the stars on a blanket? Or in a crowded room of all her friends and family?
As soon as I met Brett I dreamed of the day he would propose. I had visions of grandeur for that day- looking beautiful and being swept off my feet by love (no pressure, Brett). I knew Brett was my match, and that he would know the correct timing of events and how to lead our relationship. Little did I know, as I was telling friends it would be six months or a year before we took that step, he was making payments on a ring. The week before my birthday, Brett was definitely acting a bit strange, but I assumed it was because he would be missing my birthday. He had also been upset that we had to cancel a camping trip we had planned for the weekend. I tried for weeks to get hints about my present to no avail. The day before he left, he planned on giving me my “birthday present”. When I opened the door, I noticed no gift in his hand. I was initially confused and my mind jumped to the thought of “Oh! A puppy?!”. We walked into my room where we sat down on my bed. Next thing I know he is explaining how he had other plans of how to do this and how every thing had fallen through, {cue confusion} but he realized that it was not about how he says asks, but what he is saying. {cue the tears} With that he proceeded to tell me many sweet things and asked me: Will you marry me? After about 2 minutes of “Are you serious?” and “Is this happening?”, I said YES! Then there were many excited phone calls to friends (who were shocked) and family. Next we headed to Backyard Burger (yes, you read that correctly!). Brett was so nervous the whole day that he had barely eaten anything! We still laugh about going there on such a momentous night. I kept his coke cup as a keepsake...  
Looking back on the moment it definitely did not happen how I expected it (I didn’t picture myself wearing yoga pants and no make-up). But, I realize that in that moment my vision was still fulfilled. I may not have been serenaded then, but he sings to me whenever I ask. We may not have been on a blanket under the stars, but for years to come we will hike and camp and play. In that moment, realized I get to have those things every day. Forever.

After a few initial pictures, I changed out of PJ's and we went to celebrate with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment